Monday, January 4, 2021

Happy New Year 2021 And Tom Thumb Day!!!



HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021!



I hope the first days of the new year has been good and I hope it continues to be good throughout many years.


2020 did not leave anyone unscathed. I lost two family members this year my dad and his sister. My aunt passed from complications from Covid and my dad made it through Covid but I think it weakened his body which was already weak. He passed a week and a half before Christmas…

I have so many boxes of my parents’ stuff to look through and a lot is getting put on eBay. My dad liked to collect memorabilia. So my start of 2021 kinda feels like I am going through a treasure hunt.


As for reading… well I have already finished two books that I started in 2020 but still, it is progress. I in fact have quite a few books that I have finished but I have not written reviews for yet. I still don’t want to stop doing this blog so we will see how this year goes.







Celebrate Every Day With Books

It seems like everyday has some new theme to celebrate so I thought it might be fun to see what kind of interesting books I can find (new, old, or coming soon) for an everyday holiday. In fact, most days have more than one holiday!


TODAY 

IS 

JANUARY 4TH 2021


TOM THUMB DAY


“Charles Sherwood Stratton, who would become known as General Tom Thumb, was born on today's date in 1838, in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Although he was born a normal size, by the age of six months he had stopped growing, possibly because of a pituitary gland issue, such as Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD). At the time, he was 25 inches long and weighed 15 pounds. It wasn't until age 9 that he started growing again—albeit at a slow pace—and he was just two feet, eight inches tall when he reached the age of 18. He kept growing throughout his life and eventually reached three feet, four inches in height, and a weight of 70 pounds.


Stratton was just four years old when he met circus impresario P.T. Barnum, who was a distant relative. Barnum became the boy's manager, and taught him how to sing, dance, mime, and make impersonations. Stratton became one of the "wonders" at Barnum's American Museum in New York City, where he arrived on December 8, 1842. Barnum paid Stratton's father three dollars a week to let his boy be there, and Stratton and his mother lived in an apartment in the museum.” (taken from checkiday.com)


So that you know I have not read most of these but the ones I pick seem the most interesting and would like to read. You can probably find tons more books for each holiday but I am only going to pick two books for one holiday a day. 


Let me know what you think. Do any of them seem interesting to you? Is there another book you think would be a better choice?





Title: The Remarkable Courtship Of General Tom Thumb by Nicholas Rinaldi

Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction,

What It Is About?: “...this novel weaves together a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at life during the Civil War and a moving tale of one misfit's odyssey to find his place in the world. Discovered at age four by P.T. Barnum, Tom Thumb soon finds himself traveling internationally, sitting on the laps of the queens of Europe, and entertaining the masses. He meets Czar Nicholas and the King of Saxony and is invited to the Tuilleries by Louis Philippe. After marrying Lavinia Warren, Tom and his wife are hosted at the White House by President Lincoln. With the country at war, Tom and Lavinia set out on their honeymoon tour and witness firsthand the fracture between the states, the heroism of young soldiers, and the unbreakable spirit of the American people...” ( From Goodreads.com)

Available To Buy: Anywhere Books Are Sold

Available To Swap: 0 Available on PBS





Title: The Autobiography Of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin

Genre:
Fiction, Historical Fiction,

What It Is About?: “...She was only two-foot eight-inches tall, but her legend reaches out to us more than a century later. As a child, Mercy Lavinia "Vinnie" Bump was encouraged to live a life hidden away from the public. Instead, she reached out to the immortal impresario P. T. Barnum, married the tiny superstar General Tom Thumb in the wedding of the century, and transformed into the world's most unexpected celebrity…”(from Goodreads.com)

Available To Buy: Anywhere Books Are Sold

Available To Swap: 1 Available on PBS








No comments: