Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Shannon's Review - The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman


TheOceanAtTheEndOfTheLane.jpg


Title: The Ocean At The End Of The Lane
Series: N/A
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Publisher: William Morrow Books
Received: Bought
Release Date: June 2013
Pages: 178
Rating:

rating4sm.gif


Author’s Official Websites:

Official Site

Blog


Facebook


Twitter



Shannon’s Thoughts:

A gentleman returns to his childhood home and begins to remember something from his past he suppressed or was magically blocked from his mind. As he recalls an old babysitter and her unique introduction to his family he realizes she is not what she seems.  A young girl and her family try to help him rid the hold an evil presences.  

Neil Gaiman has a knack for creating stories that seem like they have always been around. The Ocean At The End Of The Lane is told as true fairy tale.  When say fairy tale I don’t mean Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, I mean a story straight from Ireland with actual fairies. Even though the word fairy is not mentioned in the story, the description of how mischievous fairies are is all over the villain.  That is what I like about this book and Gaiman’s writing.

My only dislike is that the book is too short. I feel there was so much more could be told about the girl, her mother and grandmother.   Why was there a troublesome in the area of the lake? What was the lake’s history? I hope maybe one day Gaiman will return to those characters in another story.

I am a sucker for stories with fairies and this one is so much more intriguing. Because I recognize details that come from old Irish folklore. It is also a short read and as I said shorter then I would like but still charming..  


No comments: