Thursday, July 11, 2013

Shannon's Review - The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence





Title: The Universe Versus Alex Woods
Series: N/A
Author: Gavin Extence
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Redhook
Received: From Publishers
Release Date: June 2013
Pages: 416
Rating:



Author’s Websites:
Official Site for The Universe Versus Alex Woods

Pinterest

Tumblr




Shannon’s Thoughts:

Alex Woods is a remarkable boy who not only overcomes his obstacles but sticks to his beliefs.  Certain things in Alex’s life set in motion, all starting with a fallen meteor knocking him unconscious .   Whether it is the meteor or the way he was brought up Alex sometimes looks at things too logically.  Especially when he later becomes friends with a man, Mr. Peterson, in the neighborhood.  There friendship and the future decisions they make will surprise the world.

I absolutely love books that have book lovers in the story.  Especially one as knowledgeable as Alex Woods who goes from reading about the universe and the mind to Kurt Vonnegut.  Now that I have finished reading the book I look back and think “Wow, a lot happened to Alex”.  Alex is not afraid to speak his mind and sometimes comes off naive. The fact that he is a teenager the naive part of Alex felt real not to say the outspoken Alex did not feel real, it just seems unique to me.

I had a hard time getting to the end of the book because I did not want to leaves Alex’s world which in truth is not different than ours. So I guess I really wanted to stay with Alex some more.

Excellent writing and description.  I fell deeply into the story.   The Universe Versus Alex Woods is a heartfelt exploration that will make you think about what your beliefs are and whether the are right or wrong.


1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I enjoyed this book a lot too especially the way Alex loves books!