Saturday, December 29, 2012

Shannon's Review - A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man by James Joyce







Title: A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man
Series: N/A
Author: James Joyce
Genre: Classic, Fiction
Publisher: The Viking Press
Received: Purchased
Release Date: 1916
Pages: 253
Rating:


My Thoughts:

We are introduced to the character Stephen as a young boy as he grows to manhood.  Stephen is sometimes strange, smart, brave and shy.   Emphasis on the strange most of the time.

This is a book I almost wish I had read it for a class so there would be a discussion and I would understand it better.   

I am not sure how Joyce considers this young man an artist because he is inches away from becoming a priest.  Unless this is suppose to be Joyce’s story.  The first chapter is gibberish to me and I almost didn’t go past it. But  I did and it got better. Although as soon as it got better and I understood what Stephen was talking about he would on OCD rant about pretty much on anything like hell, authors, philosophy …

I know a lot of people dislike this book and sadly I am one of them.

Website:

N/A

No comments: