Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review - The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter







Title: The Goddess Test #1
Series: Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Genre: Young Adult , Fantasy, Mythology
Publisher: Harlelquin
Received: Purchased
Release Date: April 2011
Pages: 293
Rating:


What is it About?
Eighteen year old Kate still has a year of high school but her mother only has possibly weeks or days to live.  Her mom is tired of hospitals and wants to die in peace where she was raised.  So Kate following her mother’s wishes packs them up to their new home.  While there Kate meets a young man who says he is the God Hades and brings a friend back to life.

My Thoughts:

Kate and her mom are close.   Kate’s mom is also dying.  While Kate struggles to deal with losing her mother, she makes friends in a new town.  After an accident with a “friend” dying, Kate is found by Henry, who says he is Hades, and to prove it brings her “friend” back to life.

I think of this book and the surprise ending is what sticks to memory but I don’t want to spoil the book. In my opinion this is one the best retelling of a Greek Myth.  

The bond that Kate and her mother have really pull at the heart string and had me tearing up a little.  That doesn’t happen often with me and books.

I won’t give it 5 stars because there was some things that I pretty much guessed was going to happen.  Even with the typical scenes you might expect, this a good story.  I can’t really imagine what comes next in the series, this being the first book.



Website:

Aimee Carter Official Website
http://www.aimeecarter.com/

2 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I loved Kate's connection to her mom but I wasn't as thrilled with the Greek retelling part. I've read others I found more exciting (like Tera Lynn Childs' Sweet Venom).

Confuzzled Shannon said...

Hmmm.. never heard of Sweet Venom I will have to check that out. Thanks!