Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review - The Royal Diaries: Anacaona: Golden Flower by Edwidge Danticat





Title: The Royal Diairies: Anacaona: Golden Flower
Series: The Royal Diaries
Author: Edwidge Danticat
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Scholastic Inc
Received: Purchased
Release Date: April 2005
Pages: 192
Rating:


What is it About?

Told in diary format the based on true tale of Haitian Queen Anacaona.

My Thoughts:

I have only read two of the Royal Diaries series and while I like them the future never seems to bode well for the history of royalty.  Anacaona does have an unfortunate fate but her life is somewhat unknown.  The author takes some liberties having the future queen fear for her future as if she some how knows what will come.

I do not know much about this history but what is this tale is based on.  So I do not know how much is true.  Reading this children’s book make me want to find a more involved history of the Haitian Queen.   

I picked this up wanted to know more about Haiti after the most resent events there.  There is so much history that gets lost I think this is one tale that does because I have never heard of her.

These Royal Diaries are geared more towards girls being that all of them in the series are royal young girls but this book to me had less of a girly feel to it. It mentions her brother and how close they were.   I think even boys would like this one.

Website:
N/A

6 comments:

TheReadingPenguin said...

Hi, I'm actually your new follower via FF. I just wanted to comment on this though, because I had tons of the American Diaries and Royal Diaries when I was a kid. I love journal style writing.

Here's my FF:

http://readingtopenguins.blogspot.com/2011/10/following-friday-8.html

Natalie said...

I used to love these when I was a kid! I swear I'd talk my parents into buying one every time we got a Scholastic order form at school!

Unknown said...

New follower here! Wanted to stop by and say congrats on being this weeks feature follower! May your day be blessed with tons and tons of followers!! lol! : D

Feel free to follow back @ http://www.booklove101.blogspot.com

Have a Happy Follow Friday!

Gimme The Scoop said...

New Follower hopping thru. Congrats on being this weeks feature follower! Check out my FF response at Gimme The Scoop Reviews

Tena said...

newest follower, congratulations on being the feature!!!

Come visit if you have a chance...Crazy Book Slut

Ninja Girl said...

Hey there,
The cover looks great, and the book sounds interesting. I confess, I'm not a huge fan of diary format, but if the subject matter was interesting enough I'm sure I'd love the book. Congrats on the feature, and nice to meet ya :)
New follower,
Ninja Girl