Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fun Home : A Family Tragicomic by Allison Bechdel



Title: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
Author: Allison Bechdel
Genre: Graphic Novel ; Memoir
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin                                             
How Received? Purchased
Release Date: 2006
Pages:232
Rating:

What It’s About: A graphic novel/memoir of Allison Bechdel reflecting on her sexuality , her connection with her father, and understanding is surprising death.

My Thoughts: I will say right now that my rating is in between because I do enjoy the art work.

This book was recommended to me by who I can’t remember.  Although I like graphic novels I probably would not have read it but only did because of the recommendation.

I respect very much the art work and the story she is trying to tell but for it was not that interesting.  Maybe not that it wasn’t interesting but the view point and the literature  references were just over my head or not the way I would have gone.  It is not my story to tell though.

Although Miss Bechdel may have found some therapeutic instrument in telling her story.  Too many books mentions that I didn’t know or in parts the story seemed so dark I did not enjoy. So while I think the art is great  but the moments told in this memoir are only okay.



No comments: