Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Sister's Secret by Wanda E. Brunstetter

A Sister's Secret


This is not the first book I have read by Wanda E. Bruntetter nor will it be the last. I do enjoy the lightheartedness of her books. This one was no different a little less predicable then some of her other books have. Even with the predicable elements I still found the book enjoyable. The story takes place on a Amish settlement in Ohio where we meet the lead of the story Grace. She is Amish and is strong willed, keeps to herself and is very secretive. Grace is about to marry Cleon who is also of the Amish faith. Four years earlier during Grace's rumschpring (German/Dutch for running around years) she spent time in the English (what the Amish call those of us not Amish) world with no contact to her Amish family. After she returned she still didn't talk about her life away from them. Which can only mean one thing in the literary world is that there something amiss. At least in Grace's past there is, which is about to possibly be revealed by the new English reporter in town. The reporter Gary is someone who Grace use to date and he has some stories to tell about Gracie. Will he tell Grace's family her secrets or will she stop him? I'm not telling.

I had one problem with the book . I had a problem believing that Cleon and Grace were in love and in the end the feeling I had about them changed. That was my only real problem though.

Since I have never known an Amish person but do live close to Pennsylvania Dutch Country I can't say for sure whether the settings are authentic but do feel like they are pretty close. In the author biography it is stated that she visits Amish settlements often on her travels. Every so often her books she will add a couple of Dutch/German words that the Amish use and I love that. It makes me want to learn the language. When talks about food I want to eat the same food they are eating. Matter of fact just today when was reading about peanut butter and honey sandwich I said, "That sounds good I think I will have that." And I did.



In this book and most of her books Wanda E. Brunstetter has a way of romanticizing the Amish life. I find nothing with but that is just the best way I can describe the way she writes. Out of it you get the feeling the Amish are hard working and mindful of there faith. In the books the God factor is not overwhelming in there daily lives but still there. My point is your not getting beat over the head with God or beliefs. Just a little nudge here and there. In all it a was good read. I give it about 4 stars. Not unbelievably great, but good enough to pass on to someone. Oh and I almost forgot to mention this book is the first in a series of 3. The third book a A Sister's Hope is due out in July 2008.

Link to check out: The Offical Wanda E. Brunstetter Website

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your informal style of review and how you insert your personality - love the bit about having the PB and honey sandwich.