Thursday, January 7, 2021

Shannon's Review - A Family Dinner by Cory Q. Tan






Title: A Family Dinner
Series: Not at the moment
Author: Cory Q. Tan
Illustrator/Book Cover Design: Cory Q. Tan
Genre: Children’s, Fiction, Picturebook,
Publisher: The Luminous Cat
Received: Bought
Release Date: August 2019
Pages: 39
Rating:




Author Cory Q. Tan’s Official Websites:

NO PHOTO FOUND


Website:
https://coryqtan.com/

Blog:
https://coryqtan.com/blog-2/

Facebook:
None found

Twitter:
None found

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/coryqtan/?hl=en



Shannon’s Thoughts:

A wife asks her husband to go to the store for carrots to make dinner. Insisting she can not make dinner without said carrots her husband reluctantly heads out for what should be an easy task. He soon finds that getting these carrots are more trouble than what they are worth. The first store is closed and the second is out of carrots. He continues on and as he does the story becomes more and more insane.

I was surprised by the turn this took into fantasy. I was not expecting talking worms or rabbits. It reminded me of an old fairy I read as a child. Especially the part with the giant fish.

While I like the unexpected, I think the book went a little too far into fairy tale land for me. I kept thinking maybe the dad hit his head or fell asleep and he will wake up...but that did not happen. All the weird things that happen just really happen.

The artwork is awesome. The story is like the old fairy tales. I like fairy tales, especially when I know they are going to be a fairy tale. I am curious about other children’s books by Cory Q. Tan and may read more of his work later. I think young kids will like the fantasy of the story.

No comments: