Friday, December 27, 2019

Shannon's Review - The Gift by Pete Hamill



Title: The Gift
Series: Not At The Moment
Author: Pete Hamill
Illustrator/Book Cover Design: Bernard Klein
Genre: Fiction, Holiday, Christmas
Publisher: Little, Brown, and Company
Received: Bought
Release Date: November 2005
Pages: 153
Rating:







Author Pete Hamill’s Official Websites:


Website:
http://www.petehamill.com/

Blog:
None Found

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PeteHamillAuthor/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/petehamillnyc

Instagram:
None Found


Shannon’s Thoughts:

A 17-year-old Pete returns from the Navy for a holiday family visit. In hopes to see the girl, he has affection for he visits local bars with friends. While she is not so much interested in him he then finds that family is the most important love to have.

I have read one book by Pete Hamill called Forever which I really enjoyed. I was eager to see what this short Christmas story was like. Hamill is a really good writer. As each short chapter went on I was intrigued to see what this “gift” was going to be. I also wondered if this was based on the author’s life as he named the main character after himself.

Even though I liked what I was reading I knew from the beginning that whatever “The Gift” was I knew it was going to be not what I hoped for and to be honest it was a sweet ending but kinda lackluster. I wanted more about his family connections and just wanted more story in general

There is something in the way Hamill writes he really does mesmerize the reader. The reader gets comfortable with the atmosphere and characters. So while this was not my favorite by Hamill it will not be my last.

No comments: