Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Shannon's Review - Cemetery Girl Book One: The Pretenders by Charlaine Harris and Christopher Golden



CemeteryGirl1.jpg

Title:  Cemetery Girl - Book One: The Pretenders
Series:  Cemetery Girl Vol. 1
Authors: Charlaine Harris, Christopher Golden
Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy, Fiction
Publisher: Jo Fletcher Books
Received:  Borrowed
Release Date: January 2014
Pages: 120
Rating:

Starrating4.gif


Shannon’s Thoughts:

A young woman finds herself left for dead in a cemetery without memory of who she was or where she lives.  Afraid of those that tried to kill her, she takes refuge in the cemetery and even taking her new name from a tomb stone.  The girl, now known as Calexa,  visits local houses to “borrow” food.  She also finds a new power within herself that scares her.

I found that this graphic novel’s story grabbed from previous characters in the fantasy genre, like Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book and Joss Whedon’s Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  Since the authors’ took certain traits from those popular books and t.v. series it made me only like it more. In fact even though this volume #1 was a pretty big graphic novel I need more.  I am eager to find out where the story goes after this introduction.

I find it a little surprising that so many people disliked it because it was a graphic novel.  I am a avid reader and I find graphic novels to sometimes be more relaxing because my brain does not have to visualize as much with a graphic novel. I also find that graphic novel can be great for those who do not read as often.  I really don’t understand not liking any graphic novel just for … being a graphic novel.

Authors Official Websites:

Charlaine Harris

Website



Christopher Golden

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Blog

No comments: