Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Shannon's Review - The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen






Title:  The Ugly Duckling
Series: N/A
Author: Hans Christian Andersen
Genre: Children, Picture Book, Fairy Tale
Publisher:  Ripple Digital Publishing
Received:  Purchased
Release Date:  March 2011
Pages: 40
Rating:  



Author’s Websites:

N/A



Shannon’s Thoughts:

The Ugly Duckling use to be my favorite of the fairy tales.  A strange looking “duckling” hatches out of a egg next to actual duckling chicks.  All the chicks and the mother can tell the strange “duckling” is not their kind so the ugly duckling goes off to find a place to fit in.

I do not know if this particular book was actually written by the Hans Christian Andersen because some book sites say it was written by the publisher, Ripple Digital Publishing.  It has decent art although I wished there was more of it.

I found this telling of The Ugly Duckling was a little boring.  Usually there is a heartwarming feeling towards the duckling.  I also felt where the ugly duckling was searching for his place in the bird world was short. We did not have time to root for the ugly duckling.  

I feel like there was something missing in this telling. I still enjoy this fairy tale but the way it has been written by others has been better.


No comments: