Monday, January 21, 2013

Shannon's Review - Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro







Title: Stereotypical Freaks
Series: N/A
Author: Howard Shapiro
Genre: Graphic Novel
Publisher: Animal Media Group
Received: From Author for Review
Release Date: November 2012
Pages: 140
Rating:


Shannon’s Thoughts:

Four high school guys come together out of school to make music with their band practicing for The Battle Of The Bands.  During school some of guys are in different social groups that do not necessarily mix well with each other.  As the guys play together they also learn that their social group status may not be as important as the friendships they have made with each other. Each chapter has a list of rock songs to listen to giving you more insight into the guys and their music.  They each have their own baggage to deal with but they come together as a band.   

I like the suggested music in beginning of each chapter. I have to say that the dynamics between Mark and his jock friends and Mark and the band reminded me of the beginning episodes of Glee.
The band really comes together in the end.  Although I am curious what happens to the band now after their loss.

I like the title Stereotypical Freak and it seems to fit they although I would not call them all stereotypical and every teenager thinks they are a freak.  Other than that I have no bad issues with the graphic novel.

It was enjoyable, funny, sad and moving.  Probably will read again and find the songs to listen as I read.

Website:

N/A


No comments: