Friday, October 19, 2012

Review - Believable Hope by Michael Cartwright







Title: Believable Hope
Series: N/A
Author: Michael Cartwright
Genre: Self Help, Addiction
Publisher: Heath Communication
Received: From Publisher on NetGalley
Release Date: September 2012
Pages: 264
Rating:


What is it About?

A self help book about addiction that shares examples of people that have drug, alcohol, food, and other additions.  The end of chapters also have workbook pages to help the reader face their problems and hopefully change them.


My Thoughts:

The book Believable Hope tries to give those who are desperately looking to change things about their addictive behaviors.  The are examples of people who struggles and changed.  There is also information about places that will helps those reading the book that need help.

I picked this book to read because I am a compulsive eater, along with the many other things I have to deal with.  The hope in the title grabbed me because I am always looking for hope these days.  While I thought it was a good book it had many points that are in most books about changing yourself.   Easy to talk about those things but hard to actually start doing.  This shares how others did seek help for themselves and describing that asking for help is not a bad thing

Website:

N/A

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your review. The problem with his "method" is that he overcame his drug and alcohol addiction years ago. You are right that he makes it sound way too simple.

While he did talk a bit about his experience, it was mostly with his weight issues which isn't the same as someone who has chemically altered their brain with drugs or alcohol.

He also talks about how he was psychotic and now he isn't on medication. That just scares me.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I did not remember him being psychotic and now off meds. That scares me too.