Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Salon - First Author Ever






I had a thought this week that I never really wondered about before.  My thought was who was the first known author? I know some you have probably thought of this and have answers I am slow on the upkeep, which is not unusual for me.  My Google search brought up that whomever wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh was I guess you could say the first book but we really do not know who wrote it.   More interesting my search brought up that scholars believe the first known woman author is named  Enheduanna.  She was Sumerian from 23rd century B.C. and she mostly wrote poetry.  I couldn’t find any links of her poetry in english but I still think it interesting.

            So this is my question this week.  Do you remember the first author you loved and had to read everything they wrote?

Mine would have to be Beverly Cleary.   I read every last book she wrote.  I forget most of the stories but not really the characters.   Maybe one day I will read them again.

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The first book I checked out of the library (when I was eight) was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. So then, of course, I had to read Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain left a mark on my soul.

I went on to read books by Louisa May Alcott, another favorite of mine. I recently bought a laptop and named it "Louisa May," in her honor.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

wellwell2 said...

Thornton W. Burgess
And I memorized something from something he wrote when I was very young:
Bobby Coon is very neat
Washes both his hands and feet
Before he ever starts to eat

or some such thing.
Barbara B
www.wellwell2.com