Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review - The Magicians by Lev Grossman



Title: The Magicians #1
Series: The Magicians
Author: Lev Grossman
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Viking
Received:  Purchased
Release Date: August 2009
Pages: 402
Rating:


What is it About?

Quentin, a teenager getting ready for school finds himself transported to a magical school that accepts him after a test. For four years he attends learning magic and about a another world that is based on the fiction world, Fillory,  he use to read as a child.   


My Thoughts:

Many people consider this series Harry Potter for adults.   I feel like there was some similar things about Quentin that showed in Harry.   For the most part the book has a very dark feel to it.  The character grow up physically but mentally they don’t learn from their mistakes.  

I read this fast but not because of how much I was interested in it more because I was less interested.  Which meant I skimmed and usually around the best parts my husband said.   That said this is a book that should be read slowly not sped through you will just miss stuff.

For the most part the book has a very steady depressed feeling throughout.
I still think it is a interesting story just a little too dark for me.  I can’t point out much that I thought was fun in the book but maybe surprising yes.



Website:

Official Lev Grossman Website

http://levgrossman.com/

No comments: