Sunday, September 14, 2008

What the heck is going on with me?

I feel I should apologize for all the late posts and not posting much on the blogger appreciation week. I have just been down in the dumps for the past week or so and have been having a hard time. I sometimes I wonder if it is the book I am reading (Animal, Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver). It not that it is a bad book but it is non fiction and mentions very often how Americans are just not eating right over and over again. It's been making me feel a little bad for myself because yeah I pretty much suck at being healthy. But I picked it to read. I thought it would give me more of a push to read healthy and unfortunately it is not. The drive for me to do it is just not there. I almost finished the book thankfully and can move on to something else.

Do books ever change your mood? or your drive to do things?


Tomorrow: Posts on Blogger Appreciation Week, A Book Review, and possibly more.

8 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Yes, Shannon, books do change my moods.

I'm reading The Healing Choice. It's a parallel about the pain of the loss of a parent from cancer compared to the loss of a spouse from sexual sin. I am only on page 60, and I find me pushing myself to get it over!

I should quit, but I never quit. Ah well. Back to reading!

ThorinMcGee said...

Anansi Boys. Neil Gaiman is probably my favorite auhor. American Gods was my favorite book of his (tied with the collaborative Good Omens). Anansi boys is its sequel and it's a fine, well-written book. In fact it was too well written. I felt too much sympathy for the main character, who was getting badly screwed and wasn't able to do anything about it, and it just torpedoed my mood and was screwing up the following days. I'd be all pissy and wronged and not want to do anything at work. And I read slow, so that mood won't be gone in like a week. I might read a book over two months!

So I had to put it down only about a third of the way through. I may come back to it later, though, when I'm feeling more "mature."

Alyce said...

The way I find that books affect my moods the most though is if I am reading something that makes me angry. Like if someone is being treated unfairly or abused then I get upset. Then if my husband happens to step one toe out of line when I'm in such a mood he pays the price. Then I feel bad because it's not his fault I'm reading a book that's got me upset.

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better! The only time books really change my mood is if I'm reading someone sad that I feel I can relate to, then it usually brings back memories and I get sad all over again.

photoquest said...

It's funny but i've noticed my moods do change in relation to the book i'm reading maybe it comes from getting to caught up in the story or being affected by it. Alot of times it's in a good way.

Serena said...

I actually find that the books I choose to read suit my mood at the time.

Anonymous said...

I haven't quite had your experience, but after I finish a really great read, sometimes I "mourn" that I don't have that book to read any more. I get a little snippy until I find a new book to catch my interest.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon Shannon. I am sorry if this book is bringing you down since I recommended it to you. :(

I suck at being healthy too but I am trying, little by little.

I wanted to let you know that I have received the book you sent. Thanks so much! Feel better soon!

Blessings,
Amy